Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Party Food - Balls!

I had a party recently and after a bit of contemplation, rather than order pizza, I decided on this strategy: Finger foods, one nice cocktail and a killer dessert. Everything came out great, and quite easy. Here are the recipes I used:

Cocktail - Whiskey Slush
I found this drink online.  All the recipes I found called for concentrated frozen orange juice and lemonade, but since I couldn't find those here, I adjusted it and came up with this.
2 cups whiskey (I used Jack)
3 cups Orange Juice
2-3 lemons (I would put in more next time, I like it tart)
4 cups sweetened, chilled black tea (I saw some recipes which used green tea)

Blend the ingredients, pour into a tray and slide into your freezer - I have a tiny freezer but I somehow managed it. Chill overnight if possible. Once it's set, scrape and scoop into a glass and top it off with a little ginger ale or other soda, lemon slice and a cherry. This makes plenty of drink to go around for a party of 6-10+ depending on how much of a lush your guests are. It comes out like a fancy, boozy slushy, so yummy!

Cheese Spread
I also had some blue cheese I wanted to use.  Toasted, chopped walnuts, blue cheese and cream cheese, mixed together and severed with sliced baguette and crackers. I should have thrown in some dried cranberries - I had those too!


Meatballs
Inspired by the 'Throwdown with Bobby Flay' episode, I made these Grandma Maroni's Meatballs.  They are divine. I had them in the freezer, already cooked, so just had to throw them in the oven for 20 minutes to heat through.


Broccoli Balls
I had a bunch of broccoli in my fridge and freezer that I wanted to use, so after some research I merged a few recipes and made this.

2 cups chopped steamed broccoli
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup grated cheese (your choice)
1/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
1 t oregano
1 t basil
S & P
4-5 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used panko)

Sauté onions and garlic. Mix with all the other ingredients in a bowl. Roll the mixture into 2-3 inch balls (you can coat them again in some bread crumbs if you like), mine were about golf ball size. Bake on an oiled baking sheet at 175 C (350 F) for 30-40 minutes. Flip over half-way to brown both sides.

This recipe was fantastic. I am definitely going to be making this again, and experimenting with more ingredients because my kid liked it too. I may add some mashed beans in next time...

Dipping Sauces
And of course, you gotta dip those balls! So I made several dipping sauces. One was just a simple marinara, from a jar. Another was greek yogurt seasoned with chopped mint, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. And finally a spinach-yogurt dip (I always make this - it's just steamed spinach, chilled and mixed with yogurt, salt and pepper), which was also nice with just bread or crackers.
Dessert - Rum Raisin Chocolate Cake:
I had made some rum raisins earlier, thinking to add them to ice cream, but the ice cream we had sucked so I searched for another recipe. I came across this one and couldn't resist. It was so worth it.

And that's it - The balls were a big hit. Gotta try cake balls next time and make a theme out of it!



No comments:

Post a Comment